Friday, January 27, 2006

Wuxia

In Cambodia there are a lot of Chinese ethnic people living all around the country. (To be frank, even I myself have some chinese blood running in my vein.) That's why you will see chinese temples and some chinese culuter all around Phnom Penh.Even at What Phnom Pagoda which is the symbol of Phnom Phen you will find the status of Thang Chan (the monk in Thang dynasty who traveled to India to copy the Buddha Books).

Since I was a child I like to watch chinese martial art drama very much. The whole drama is full of love, mystery, brotherhood, tricky..... Then one day I had the chance to read chinese martial art novel in Khmer.I must admit that it was really a page turning stuff.I could not control myself and have to read all the five books at once :) . My father also used to tell me that when he was in his twenties he also get lost in this cinese martial art fiction world too.

the cover of Legend of the Condor Heroes

Those chinese martial art things are called Wuxia in chinese. Becasue I can not read chinese and I was eager to read the novels I was end up with some interesting web sites after I google a bit :)

The most famous Wuxia author is Jing Yong. His novels are adapted into movies and dramas and some of his novels have been adapted for many times.
For example his novel named The Return of the Condor Heroes was adapted to drama and was very popular when i was in cambodia. It was called Tep Intri Sena Kla Han in khmer.I still remember my whole family always watch that daram every night.

from chapter 1 of Legend of the Condor Heroes


If you can not read chinese like me and wanna give wuxia a try then the following web sites are the good starting point.

http://www.wuxiapedia.com/ has many novels. All of the novels are translated voluntarily into English by people who interested in Wuxia.I was very impressed when I firstly knew about that. It is a good community sense which people in the community contribute to make the community active. It is not different from people in Open Source software community. I do wish that soon our khmer people will have such community sense.

This forum also have some Wuxia novels translated into English by its member.
Hope that you will enjoy them.

12 comments:

seserak said...

Great discription, ah OUN.

"The Return of the Condor Heroes"...Wow...

Its English title is just as beautiful as the Khmer version's title( Tep Entry Sena Klarhan).

Well, the movie is on my favorite list too. Though I found it a bit upsetting and sad when the author determines that Yarng Ko( the main male character) has to lose his right hand, and his beloved aunth has to...If you know what I mean. I always wonder why it has to be like that!

Dara said...

Ha ha ah oun,
Yeah I did understand what you are tring to say but to me what happen to Xiao Long NĂ¼(???)is not a big thing.
Do you think it is a big deal?

seserak said...

Well, it's not that big deal. It's just a little disturbing. I think the author should not be that cruel to her as she is the main female character.

Anyway, what can we say? After all, it's a fiction. It's up to the author to determine the fate of his characters.

Anonymous said...

Hello all,

I happen to love the story as well, and I was a little upset too for what you're talking about. But by making it likes that, I think the author wants to show that no matter what has happened, their love will never change, whether he/she is perfect or not or in their eyes they're always perfect for each other.

Even after Yang Ko lose his right hand, he didn't loose his personalities, and that's hard to do for some people.

Thank for point out the site.

Dara said...

I agree with Anonymous.you did get to the point.

to Ah Oun seserak, yep it's up to the author to decide his character fate and I do understand your feeling.:) Who dont want things end up with happy ending? But if we consider to real world I think what author decided is right. Nothing perfect in this cruel world ha-ha.
there aren't lot of happy ending out there ...
Oppps! I lost!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dara,

I do think it's a happy ending. If you don't think it's a happy ending, then I don't think you got the point either, because both of them did live happily ever after.

Dara said...

hi Anonymous,
yeah I agree that in the end both of them meet each other and live happy ever after.But what I was trying to say is even Yang Go lost his arm and Xiao Long Nu .... are not such big deal.I just want to say that life is not always perfect for everyone and I do agree with the author.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I guess you have your point, and maybe your point and my point are different.

You said:"Nothing perfect in this cruel world" and "life is not always perfect for everyone", both of them make sense but seem to be contradicted, and trying to clarifying them is a pain, hehe...

Someone has said something like this before:"?????????", a translation from what I understood is: You need to put in effort to acquire yourown happiness"(Hope you can understand my traslation). I think what it's saying is right, and if we don't looking for perfectness, then our life would be a lot happier.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for insightful article. I have a keen interest in Cambodia's minorities and learnt a lot.

Stefan

seserak said...

Happy New Year ah OUN!

Why don't you update your BLOG?

Anonymous said...

Hey, i found it very interesting to me the movie. You know that i watched since i was very young last 15 years ago... by that time, my family did not have money to buy a cassette player cos we were so poor with 10 people in the family. you know how did i watch this movie ? i went to TEAM CAFEE and sit under the table by hiding myself from the shop stall owner ( cos i did not have money to pay for coffee ).

Afer that, this movie still in my mind and i was trying hard to seek it. i saved some of money my mum gave me going to school to buy a cassette. You know what happen now ?

I took this movie with me to Brussels where i am study and i watched it every weekend...... i have just finished them last month. I watched again and again until i remember the music in the background. Wow........

Do you know is there any new version of this movie ? please give me a details on this by my mail below:

Ulb_student@yahoo.com

Many thanks in advances my friend.

Adios amigos,

pyralis said...

It's definitely a very poingnant and moving piece of literature. The imperfections are what makes it a perfect story in my mind. Awesome blog by the way.