Saturday, December 09, 2006

openSUSE 10.2 in Khmer

Novell just released its open source operating system called openSUSE 10.2 on Dec, 7th.

With this version we can install and run this operating system in Khmer out of the box.

I was impressed with this great distribution. Not only because all the menus and stuffs are in Khmer but also the KDE 3.5.5 user interface is very good and look a like to Micro$oft Windows Vista user interface.
There are a lot of changes in this release and I wish I have enough time to explore and experience all the functionalities.

I'd like to thank to all people at KhmerOS and people at openSUSE who had made this happen.
This really means a lot to me as well as to those Khmer people who wish to learn and use computer in our mother tongue.

installation screenshoot (vmware workstation)


up and running 1


up and running 2

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After you had installed it, did you have any problem with sound or printing? I planned to install it on my laptop but was afraid it wouldn't support many of the current functions and hardwares I have.

Kenno said...

Khmer language has been supported since 10.1 which was called SuSE Linux 10.1 back then.

I've installed openSUSE 10.2 on my pc and there was no problems with any hardwares; well, almost all the hardwares are working except my TV card.

Why are you afraid of installing it Mongkol? Are you planning to install it as the one and only OS in the Laptop? If you are concerning that there could be problems with hardwares detection, you could install openSUSE 10.2 as your secondary OS (in another partition), without removing the Windows XP.

Once, you find out that everything is working alright, then you can have openSUSE 10.2 as the main OS as my pc. :-)

Daravuth KEU said...

I have seen one of my friends installing it once. He got no problem rather than the shortcoming of the applications such as : video player, khmer font works usual. Anyway, i used to get stuck with mongkul's problem too as i installed Maindrake, which makes all os in my pc not work coz of linux's boot system. Be careful then...heheh

Anonymous said...

Hi Dara,
How are you?
You got a very good blog.
How is your study in Japan? Hope you enjoy it.
I would love to play and listen to your song, but I cound not play it; I did not hear anything.

Would you mind telling me how you put song in your blog? I would appreciate that!

Thanks